Apartment Cologne in Lindenthal
Let's go with a lot of information from the Apartment Cologne to Lindenthal . This is a beautiful district of Cologne on the left bank of the Rhine. It has the current district number and belongs organizationally to the Lindenthal district.
|303||7.73 square kilometers||31,000|
Geographic location of Lindenthal
Lindenthal is located west of Cologne city center and borders on the following places and districts: Ehrenfeld , Müngersdorf , Junkersdorf , Braunsfeld , Neustadt Süd and Sülz . It also borders on the city Hürth .
Vacation Apartment Cologne Tips
We recommend a visit to the animal park in Lindenthal ! This is particularly fun with small children and entry is even free. In addition to many green areas, there are petting zoos and more.
History of Cologne Lindenthal
The district of Lindenthal was already annexed to the city of Cologne in 1888 and some parts (even quite a few) were previously part of the old mayor's office "Efferen". In the past, there were many small villages and farms in this area. Messrs Fühling and Thelen probably wanted to go into the history books and already in 1843 they planned to buy a large piece of land and split it up into several individual pieces. Paths were laid out and the newly designed plots were then sold to interested citizens.
The name Lindenthal probably originated from the location between Hohenlind and Linder Höhe. In 1846 a first house was built on Dürener Straße and the district was officially opened. Since Lindenthal had a large number of green spaces and was free of industrial plants and factories, the district quickly developed into a very, very sought-after district. A colony of villas and wealthy citizens quickly developed there.
With the so-called GAG (then formed association of individuals, companies, cooperatives and the city) the publicly funded housing construction was stimulated. The city of Cologne had a 50% stake in the start-up capital and was therefore on guard. The chairman of the supervisory board of GAG was a famous figure in the Lindenthal district: namely our dear Mr. Konrad Adenauer . Of course he also lived in Lindenthal, his old house can still be seen there.
Adenauer pushed housing construction ever further and was thus able to pursue one of the most effective housing construction policies in the Weimar Republic at the time. The GAG was responsible for ensuring that a large number of settlements and districts were built and that they were built according to the "light, air and trees" principle. This naturally led to an attractive residential area and this was very popular.
Water surfaces and lots of green should always determine the picture and this has been particularly successful in Lindenthal.
At that time, Lindenthal was still very poorly connected to the city of Cologne. Until the incorporation, those responsible for the city of Cologne had no interest in creating a good connection. But when the incorporation was carried out, a horse-drawn tram line was built quite quickly, making the district even more interesting for the people of Cologne. Ultimately, this was also reflected in strong population growth.
Today there is a good connection through the large streets: Aachener Strasse and Zülpicher Strasse. These lead straight into the city center. There is also good access to the A4 motorway. With the public transport of the KVB (the Kölner Verkehrsbetriebe ) you can also reach the city very quickly. Tram lines 1, 7 and line 13 and bus lines 136, 142 and bus line 146 run here.
green spaces and parks
Lindenthal has a very large number of green spaces and recreation areas . The allotment garden at the so-called "Decksteiner Weiher" is particularly worth mentioning here. In the years around 1928, a small leisure paradise was created near the Decksteiner Mühle for hobby gardeners and those who want to become one. In this way, 578 gardens were created, which are listed buildings.
Another highlight is the Lindenthal zoo located on Kitschburger Straße. There, beautiful, free-range animal enclosures were created and great flora installed. A visit is highly recommended, as you can go for a nice walk there and the children (if available) will be well entertained with:
- petting zoo
- Feeding the animals (automatic feeders available)
- ice cream (in summer)
Entry is free and especially in summer it is wonderful to relax in the shade of the trees.
Buildings and facilities
In Lindenthal there are a variety of significant and important buildings or buildings that we want to briefly discuss here:
- The Hofgut Kitschburg had to give way with its country house when a new hotel was opened in the same place. It was the "Esso Motor Hotel", which was then taken over by the "Holiday Inn chain" and then sold to the Leonardo Hotel Group. The country house was built around 1814 and was later used as a city forest restaurant. A residential building built in 1759 is the only remnant of the former estate and can still be admired on Dürener Straße 285.
- The University of Cologne was founded in 1929 and in 1934 was able to move into a functional and simple new building near the inner green belt. This was built and planned by the city building director Mr. Adolf Jason Abel. With over 43,000 students, the University of Cologne is one of the largest universities in all of Germany. Of course, this always causes a certain housing shortage. It can take a few months for your own apartment to be found and rented. In the meantime, we are happy to help you with our time apartment ! Because in Braunsfeld we offer Zeitwohnen in Cologne !
- The Church of "Christ's Resurrection" in Cologne-Lindenthal.
- The St. Anna house (first novitiate, then hospital, now no longer a hospital)
- The Hildegardis Hospital , which was a former chapel that added to the earlier one Monastery belonged to the so-called "Alexians".
- The Evangelical Hospital or Orphanage
- The "Lindenburg" as a "medical and nursing home" and sponsored with 100,000 thalers by the gentleman Johann Heinrich Richartz was to help the citizens of Cologne and prevent illnesses. The "Lindenburg" then became the or the still active "University Clinic Cologne" (Here you can find a report about the University Clinic ). The "Lindenburg" was then on the 120,000 m² site of the order the University of Cologne still has its own church (the Church of John the Baptist), which is located on Josef-Stelzmann Straße.
- The Hohenlind Hospital , which owes its name to a place on the former grounds of the "Hohenlind" manor .
- The Paul Gerhardt Church "Red Church"
- The District Council House Lindenthal
- Krieler Dömchen
- St. Laurentius
- Saint Thomas Morus
- Liebfrauenschule Köln
- School of furniture trade
- Rhenish School for the Hearing Impaired
- Apostolic High School
Known residents of the district
Lindenthal is a popular place of residence and therefore also has some well-known names:
- Football coach Robin Dutt
- Konrad Adenauer
Hotels and guesthouses in Lindenthal
As already mentioned above, there are indeed some places to stay in Lindenthal . Various hotels and guesthouses are available here, but they do have their price. Of course you live beautifully and close to the green, but what would the Cologne tourist want to see in Cologne? Of course, the city center and Cologne Cathedral! And it is easier if you live in our apartments ! Because we are where the attractions are.
Do you want to spend a few days in the cathedral city? We have the perfect accommodations for you! Ask right away at accommodation cologne for a non-binding offer! rooms at the fair and vacation rentals are very close to the fair! We look forward to your non-binding inquiry!