Apartment Cologne presents: Mülheim
Mülheim gave the district of Mülheim its name. Mülheim is the most populous district.
|901||7.067 square kilometers||44,000|
At the Stundderbach there were once mills . The local area can be documented until the 9th century. The first documentary mention as "Mulenheym" was in 1098. However, a very reliable source of the name comes from a document dated October 1, 1151. Mülheim is mentioned as "Mulnehim". Furthermore, in a document dated August 11, 1157 and from 1166. In 1275 the town was fortified with walls. A mint was also built by Adolf von Berg. On March 7, 1322, the rights of "freedom" were conferred. The street "Mülheimer Freiheit" goes back to that.
In 1656, Mülheim was given the right to hold a market three times a year. In 1785 Mülheim was granted city rights. Mülheim had religious tolerance and in 1610 the first Protestant church was built here. This is how rich Protestant merchants were attracted. These were not allowed to settle in strictly Catholic Cologne. In 1784 there was a major flood and Mülheim was almost completely destroyed . In 1815 Mülheim came to the Kingdom of Prussia and the place developed into an industrial city. The Cologne-Minden railway was completed in 1845 and the town became a railway junction.
St. Clemens was once a boatman's church and is the best known in Mülheim. The church has a high wall. The church was badly destroyed in the Second World War. The reconstruction was simplified and scenes from the life of St. Clement can be seen. A newly created statue of St. Neopmuk has stood on the Rhine wall since 1992. It is a copy of the 300-year-old original, which has now weathered a lot.
Between 1942 and 1944 the church was destroyed in the Second World War. The Lutherkirche was then rebuilt from the rubble of the church and this is how the Luther Notkirche was built at Adamsstraße 47 in Cologne. The church was inaugurated in 1949. The parish youth church "Geistreich - Jugend macht Kirch" is also housed in the Luther Notkirche. There is the Church of God, workshops and concerts for young people and young adults.
Sacred Heart Church
In the years 1893 to 1900 the church was the government architect Julius Busch built. The church consists of a neo-Gothic, three-aisled hall with a transept, polygonal east apse and a west tower. The tower was built with a high helmet. During the war the vaults, the tower helmet and the sacristy were destroyed. However, some things were preserved, such as the altar. This was created by the Mülheim sculptor Ferdinand Hachenberg. The church was rebuilt between 1954 and 1956. The plans for this came from Otto Bongartz. The church was simply rebuilt, for example without vaulted ceilings and the high tower helmet.
The population in Mülheim grew quickly and therefore a new church was planned. At the end of the 19th century, the Church of St. Antonius was built in the Gothic Revival style. It has a three-aisled basilica with a transept. An octagonal tower helmet is located above the choir. There are also two small, square towers to the south and north. Two one-story entrance halls are located in front of the west facade, which have pointed pyramid roofs. Archbishop Karl Joseph Cardinal Schulte inaugurated the church in 1921.
There have been numerous natural disasters and only a few baroque-style houses have survived through war and reconstruction. The old Mülheim had numerous baroque buildings. The houses Mülheimer Freiheit No. 31, 33, 102 and 119 and Krahnenstraße No. 8 are still preserved from this period. However, the building structure is not original.
The "Mülheim Wiener Platz" stop is the central point of contact for various means of transport in Mülhiem.
The "Mülheimer Gottestracht" is the largest festival in Mülheim. This festival has probably existed in this form since the 14th century. It is the largest procession of ships on the Rhine river. The Sankt Sebastianus Rifle Brotherhood Mülheim am Rhein from 1435 starts with a procession on Corpus Christi. The festival ends on Sunday in the same week. The shooting and folk festival lasts four days and the festival site is located under the Mülheim Bridge.
The Genoveva High School
The Geno was founded in 1876 and is located on Genovevastraße in Cologne Mülheim. The beautiful Genoveva fountain is right in front of the high school. The focus of the school is on the integration of students with a migration background.
|School type||school number||Founded||student||Teacher|
The address is: Genovevastraße 58-62, 51063 Cologne, the website: https://www.genoveva-gymnasium.de/
The origin story
There was a so-called citizens' school in Mülheim since 1830. At that time, girls also visited it. The school was very important for the city of Mülheim, as it grew and the companies in trade and commerce were naturally looking for well-educated young people. In 1848 to 1849 there was a revolution and only boys should be trained at the school.
In 1876 there was a conversion to the secondary school for daughters and from then on it was the only school of its kind on the right bank of the Rhine within a radius of up to 20 kilometers. Even in Cologne today there was no comparable form of school until 1870. From time to time the Cologne Girls' High School emerged from this school. From 1946 to 1954 the boys were then trained again in the shelter, until finally co-education was reintroduced in 1972.
The Genoveva grammar school is not far from Keupstraße and it is hardly surprising that the school is multicultural. Already at the end of the 90s the school was strongly committed to the integration of people from other cultures and took in many late repatriates.
The Genoveva Gymnasium opened its doors to all cultures in the world very early on. So it goes without saying that in addition to the "normal" foreign languages such as French, Latin or English, languages such as Spanish or Turkish have also been added.
In addition to the standard subjects, the school now even offers some other highlights:
- dance lessons (dance education)
- Afternoon care (all-day lessons until 4 p.m.)
The school has been offering voluntary school clothes since 2009. T-shirts, polos and hooded jackets are available. This is certainly not school clothing in the classic sense and can rather be understood as an offer for identification with the school, analogous to the offers at American universities or school types, which also sell their logos etc. on T-shirts or pullovers.
The high school received a great result and a great recognition in 2011 at the German School Award. There the Geno was the first Cologne school to receive an award! Congratulations!
Do you want to spend a few days in the cathedral city? We have the perfect accommodations for you! Ask right away at Apartments cologne for a non-binding offer! Messezimmer and the vacation rentals are very close to the fair! We look forward to your non-binding inquiry!